Columbus OH
Print This Page

Help With Taxes

Free Tax Help for Central Ohio Families (614 File Free)

Free tax filing is available for families with at least one child and a total yearly income less than $70,000. Call or go online to schedule an appointment. The website also has a feature to search for a tax clinic based on location. Bring photo identification, tax forms, expense documents, and direct deposit information to your appointment.
(614) 938-3800
What to Bring to Your Appointment:

IMPACT Community Action

Provides income-based case management services, emergency assistance services, financial services, computer literacy and workforce development programs. Most of the programs are for Franklin County residents living at or below 125% of the Federal Poverty Level. Visit the website or call for more information.

  • Emergency Assistance Services: Household items, burial support, rent/mortgage, transportation, water and energy (HEAP) assistance, food giveaways during the summer.
  • Empowerment Services: Computer classes, financial services, re-entry program, ages 14-24 not enrolled in school and are not employed or are aging out of foster care (AMP: Achieve More & Prosper program), workforce development/employment, vocational training and certification, mobile medical unit in partnership with the Breathing Association, Smart Tax Prep, financial assistance for car repairs
  • Energy Assistance Services: Free home repairs through their Home Weatherization Assistance Program (HWAP) and energy efficient lighting and refrigerator/freezer replacement through their AEP Program

Southside: 711 Southwood Ave, Columbus, Ohio 43207
Westside: 4129 West Broad Street, Columbus, Ohio 43228

  • General: (614) 252-2799
  • AMP (Achieve More & Prosper): (614) 233-2671
  • EMPOWERED Career Exploration: (614) 371-1245
  • Rental Assistance: (614) 964-2906
  • Home Energy Winter Crisis Program (HEAP): (614) 249-0019
AMP website:

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

Go online for important information about taxes and filing, print forms, find the Taxpayer Bill of Rights, see if you are eligible for the Employee Retention Credit, check the status of your tax refund, and more. Income-eligible users can use the website to file taxes for free. The Taxpayer Advocate service is available for those struggling to pay taxes due to financial hardship or IRS system issue. The Alternative Media Center provides accessible tax forms for assistive technology, such as downloadable accessible forms, braille-ready files, and large print PDFs. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free tax return preparation to qualified individuals; use the locator tool to find a site near you.
200 North High Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215
(844) 545-5640
Taxpayer Advocate Service:
Alternative Media Center:
Find a VITA or TCE Site Near You:

My Free Taxes

Income-eligible individuals can securely file their taxes for free through the United Way My Free Taxes program. The MyFreeTaxes website guides users step-by-step to prepare and submit their income taxes. The website also has Tax FAQs and financial resources. Users can also select “Have My Taxes Prepared For Me” to have their return prepared online or in person for free by a Tax Time Volunteer. Anyone can call the MyFreeTaxes Helpline to have questions answered by a specialist. Go online for helpline hours and full eligibility details.
Helpline: (866) 698-9435
United Way:
Tax Time:

Neighborhood Services (NSI)

Food pantry open to all Franklin County zip codes. They also host programs for holiday meals, free tax preparation with American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), back to school backpacks, Christmas toys, and community events.  Find program details online.
1950 North Fourth Street, Columbus, Ohio 43201
(614) 297-0592


An official guide to federal information and services. Use the website to find helpful, easy-to-read information on topics like how the government works, government benefits, disability services, immigration and citizenship, taxes, legal issues and more. The website can also be used to register to vote, print tax forms or check on a tax refund, file a complaint, and other government-related tasks.
(844) 872-4681

Print This Page