New York City
Print This Page

Environmental Health

New York State Children’s Environmental Health Centers

nyscehc logo

The mission of NYS CEHC (or “NYSCHECK”) is to prevent, diagnose, and treat environmentally related conditions for families across New York State, and is the first state-based model for pediatric environmental health services in the country.

Main areas of work: clinical consultations, screening families for environmental health hazards, education and training to the healthcare community, promote programs and policies to protect children, community partnerships.

Environmental Pediatrics Clinic at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

Sinai logo

The clinic provides outpatient clinical evaluations and coordinated services for children with known or suspected exposures to environmental toxins (such as lead, mercury, environmental asthma triggers).

Mold Busters at NYCHA (New York City Housing Authority)

Mold Busters at NYCHATo report mold or a leak in your apartment and initiate the Mold Busters process, call the Customer Contact Center (CCC)
at 718-707-7771 or use the MyNYCHA app.

****NYCHA is under a court order to effectively remediate mold and excessive moisture in a timely fashion****

The Court has appointed César de Castro as the Ombudsperson to consider complaints from Residents
if NYCHA fails to comply with that order. Mr. de Castro will address NYCHA residents’ complaints about
leak, mold and excess moisture repair orders. Mr. de Castro and the Ombudsperson Call Center (OCC),
which works under Mr. de Castro’s direction, are completely independent of NYCHA

The OCC receives complaints by Residents who have already contacted the NYCHA CCC but still have concerns about mold,
leaks and any associated repairs that have not been completed properly or have not been completed on time. Residents with
such concerns can contact the OCC at 1-888-341-7152 . Do not call the OCC unless you have first
contacted NYCHA regarding a particular mold or leak problem and are dissatisfied with NYCHA’s performance.


More information at Mold-Busters-OCC-fact-sheet

Tobacco Issues

New York State Smoking Quit Line provides free support to individuals who are interested in tobacco cessation: or call (866) NY-QUITS (866) 697-8487

What to do if secondhand smoke enters your home from a neighbor’s smoking:

Information on smoke-free housing initiatives in NYC:

Learn more about e-cigarettes and juuling:

Lead Poisoning


NYC Department of Health’s Lead Poisoning Prevention program offers services for families affected by lead poisoning (including home visits) and resources for healthcare providers caring for children and pregnant women:



Regional Lead Treatment and Prevention Center at Children’s Hospital at Montefiore


Poison Control Center


Offers instant help if the parent is worried a child has exposed to a poison: (800) 222-1222

Poison Control Center: STOP! Ask First.

Poison Prevention Safety Information for Children developed by the New York State Poison Control Centers

Prescriptions for Prevention

Prescriptions for Prevention 2

The “prescriptions” provide information on how New York families can address common environmental health concerns. The front of each prescription explains simple steps for reducing the exposure. The back of each prescription lists key resources that families can use to help address the concern.




Safety Issues


Healthy Homes program: The NYC Department of Health provides extensive information on important home health and safety issues including carbon monoxide, hazardous products, and pest control. Visit 



Window Guards: For families with young children living in or visiting one’s home, the landlord is usually required to install window guards. Call 311 for more information or to lodge a complaint. To obtain information on installing window guards or a copy of the law or educational materials, call 311 or visit the website:



Carbon Monoxide poisoning: Most homes and residential buildings in NYC City are required by law to have carbon monoxide detectors installed in the sleeping areas. If you rent, the building owner is responsible for installing approved carbon monoxide detectors, and residents are responsible for regularly testing detectors to make sure they work and replacing the batteries. Visit


car sear safety


Car seat safety: Get a free car seat safety fitting by a trained technician: