New York City
Print This Page

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
HRA Infoline 718-557-1399
Family Assistance (FA) provides cash assistance to eligible needy families that include a minor child living with a parent. If you are unable to work, cannot find a job, or your job does not pay enough, FA may be able to help you pay for your expenses. If you are a childless couple, you may be eligible for the Safety Net Assistance benefit. Learn more at
– Must bee a resident of New York, and a U.S. citizen, legal alien or qualified alien.
– Must be unemployed or underemployed and have low or very low income.
– Parents and other adult relatives receiving FA who are determined to be able to work must comply with federal work requirements to receive FA benefits.
You must also be one of the following:
– Have a child 18 years of age or younger, or
– Be pregnant, or
– Be 18 years of age or younger and the head of your household.
To find out if you are eligible, you need to file an application with your local Job Center. Job Centers locations at
How to apply
Online application: Read the HRA user guide at or watch this video
Paper: alternatively, this is the application form to fill out and file at your local department of Social Services
After the application is complete, you will be granted an interview appointment within 7 working days. You will be notified within 30 days of the date you filed your application if your application for Family Assistance is approved or denied. Please visit the website for additional details.
More information
— Under FA, eligible adults can receive benefits for a TOTAL of 60 months in their lifetime.
— Once the limit is reached, adult and all members of his/her FA household are ineligible to receive more benefits.
For more details visit
Updated on March 30, 2022