New York City
Print This Page

Secondhand Smoking in a Residence

Smoking and using e-cigarettes, which includes cannabis (marijuana), is prohibited in the common areas of residential buildings with three or more units.
Common areas include:
– Lobbies
– Hallways
– Stairways
– Elevators
– Basements
– Laundry rooms
You can make a complaint about:
– Smoking taking place in locations covered by the Smoke-Free Air Act
– A building owner that has not disclosed or shared a policy on smoking to current or prospective tenants
Find more information on the Frequently Asked Questions Handout by the Department of Health on the link Contact your landlord to make a smoking complaint. Call 311 for assistance by phone.
Updated on May 25th, 2021