New York City
Print This Page

Home Damage, Repairs & Maintenance

Disaster Relief & Recovery

noun_Natural Disasters_27832
Federally Declared Disasters Areas
FEMA Disaster Recovery Center (800) 621-3362 | TTY: (800) 462-7585 | 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS): (800) 621-3362
American Red Cross Greater NYC (877) 733-2767
Disaster Unemployment Assistance (888) 209-8124
A disaster is an occurrence disrupting the normal conditions of existence and causing a level of suffering that exceeds the capacity of adjustment of the affected community. Some examples are nor’easters, severe storms with flooding, and power outages.
Learn how to prepare and what resources are at your disposal.
Find the Nearest Hospital
Find the nearest hospitals in your area and view what services each provides with the US Hospital Finder.
Find a Safe Place to Go
Visit a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) to talk with someone in person for guidance or information. To find a center near you, use the DRC Locator or text DRC and your ZIP code to 43362. Example: DRC 10029.
Disaster Relief Resources and Temporary Sheltering Assistance
► You can apply online or with the FEMA App to manage your disaster application. Your Social Security Number (SSN) is required.
► If you are eligible for Transitional Sheltering Assistance, FEMA will pay the cost to stay in certain lodging providers for a limited period. Costs covered are for the cost of the room and taxes, and any other expenses are not included. Search the list of participating locations to see if they have availability in the area you have selected.
► Find open shelters with the American Red Cross Greater NYC
Disaster Unemployment Assistance
DUA is a federal program that provides payments to people in a federally declared disaster area who have lost work or income as a direct result of the disaster. You must first file for regular Unemployment Insurance by calling the NYS Department of Labor at 888-209-8124.
Help with Expenses After a Disaster
You can apply to the NYC Human Resources Administration for a one-time emergency grant, also called the “One Shot Deal.” Call (718) 557-1399 for more information.
Coping with Stress Related to Disasters
The NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene helps New Yorkers. Contact NYC Well at 888-692-9355 for counseling and resources.
Information Resources
Preparedness Actions Education
NYC Emergency Management Office 311 (212-639-9675 for Video Relay Service, or TTY: 212-504-4115)
Notify NYC App
Know Your Zone (Hurricanes)

Home Fire

fdnyc-logoCity of New York Fire Department
Dial 911 to report emergencies (fire, smoke, fumes, an odor of gas)

Help with Emergency Expenses with NYC

If There is a Fire
► Do not try to fight the fire yourself.
► Get out and stay out. Do not try to gather personal possessions.
► Close the door on your way out.
► If smoke is present, exit as low to the ground as possible and keep your mouth covered.
► Call 911 once you reach a safe location.
►If any part of you or your clothing catches fire, do not run or try to put out the fire with your hands. Cover your face with your hands and drop to the ground and roll over and over.
Find the Nearest Hospital
Find the nearest hospitals in your area and view what services each provides with the US Hospital Finder.
Emergency Relocation Services
The Emergency Housing Services (EHS) unit provides emergency relocation services and rehousing assistance to households who have been displaced from their homes as a result of fires or city-issued vacate orders. Displaced households are placed in family centers and single-room-occupancy hotels in Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens. Call 212-863-8561 for rehousing assistance. Learn more here.
Help with Expenses in NYC
You can apply to the NYC Human Resources Administration for a one-time emergency grant, also called the “One Shot Deal.” Call (718) 557-1399 for more information.
Recovery After a Fire
► If you need help after a home fire, contact the American Red Cross Greater NYC by calling at (877) 733-2767. Learn more here.
► Take the appropriate steps to stay safe. Learn how to with the “Checking your Home After a Fire Guide”.
Request a Smoke Alarm
The American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign helps save lives by installing free smoke alarms in homes that don’t have them, and by educating people about home fire safety. Request a smoke alarm.

Gas Leakage by Housing Preservation & Development
A strange odor in the home can be indicative of gas leakage. Act fast even when in doubt.
Signs of a gas leak
► Smelling a distinctive, strong odor similar to rotten eggs.
► Seeing a white cloud, mist, fog, bubbles in standing water, blowing dust, or vegetation that appears to be dead or dying for no reason.
► Hearing roaring, hissing, or whistling.
If you suspect that a gas leak has occurred, take the following actions
► Quickly open nearby doors and windows and then leave the building immediately: do not attempt to locate the leak.
► Do not turn on or off any electrical appliances
► Do not smoke or light matches or lighters
► Do not use a house-phone or cell-phone within the building
► After leaving the building, from a safe distance away from the building, call 911 immediately to report the suspected gas leak;
► After calling 911, call the gas service provider for this building.
Reporting a gas leakage to your gas company or NYCHA Customer Conctact Center
ConEdison (Bronx, Manhattan, Queens) 1-800-752-6633
National Grid (Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island) 718-643-4050
NYCHA Customer Contact Center (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) (718) 707-7771
For more information on gas leaks, watch this video from ConEdison.
For city resources call 311.

Reporting Apartment Issues

house-damageApartment Maintainance Complaint by 311
311 or (212) 639-9675
311 Online Sign Up
If you report an apartment building problem and it is not fixed in a timely manner, call 3-1-1 or make a complaint online at 311 Maintenance Complaint in Apartment / 311MOBILE. To report a problem in an apartment, you must provide your contact information. If you wish to report an issue anonymously you can do so if the issue is affecting the entirety of a building.
Before filing a complaint with the Housing Preservation and Development Department (HPD), you should try first to resolve the issue with your landlord, managing agent, or superintendent. If you live in a co-op or condo, you should first report apartment maintenance issues to the owner, management company, or board before filing a complaint with HPD.
Learn how to make a complaint and what to do next if responsible parties are not responsive
Reporting Apartment Issues. (Handout includes a template letter)
Reporting Apartment Issues in Spanish. (Handout includes a template letter with instruction in Spanish)
► Send a formal letter of complaint to your landlord with the website.
If your landlord is not responsive and you plan to file a complaint through 311, this is what happens next
► 311 will give you a Service Request number (SRN). You can use this SRN to track the status of your complain by visiting 311ONLINE, 311MOBILE (if you filed it through 311MOBILE) or through HPDONLINE.
► HPD will attempt to contact your building’s managing agent to advise them that a complaint has been filed and that a violation may be issued if the condition is not corrected immediately. HPD will also attempt to call you back to see if the condition was corrected. If you indicate that the condition was corrected, HPD will close the complaint.
These are the most common apartment maintenance complaints according to NYC 311
► Unsanitary conditions, such as mold, sewage, or pests, including mice, bed bugs, or roaches
► Water leaks, holes, cracks, or peeling paint on walls or ceilings
► Doors and locks that are broken or missing
► Windows that are broken or stuck open or closed
► No heat or hot water
► Electrical problems, such as no lighting, defective outlets or switches, exposed or illegal wiring, or wet light fixtures
► Cooking gas that has been shut off
► Doorbells, buzzers, or intercoms that are broken or missing
► Floors that are damaged
► Chipped, peeling, flaking potential lead paint
► Sinks, bathtubs, showers, toilets, or other plumbing fixtures that are broken or defective
► Safety issues, such as broken or blocked fire escapes, or broken or missing smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, or window guards
More information
— To learn more about the process of reporting a quality or safety issue visit NYC Reporting a Quality of Safety Issue.
— Learn more about tenant rights and responsibilities with Housing Rules for Owners and Tenants.
— For more information about complaints for other types of housing visit Housing Complaints.

Si has presentado una queja de mantenimiento en tu edificio de residencia y el problema no se ha solucionado oportunamente, llama al 3-1-1 para diligenciar la queja o presenta tu queja electrónicamente en la página 311 Maintenance Complaint in Apartment o con la app 311MOBILE. Recuerda que deberás proporcionar tu información de contacto al presentar la queja. Si deseas presentar una queja que afecta todo un edificio, tu queja puede ser anónima.
Ten en cuenta que antes de presentar una queja ante el departamento de vivienda de la ciudad (HPD), es preciso intentar resolver el problema primero con tu arrendador, agente administrativo o superintendente. Si vives en una cooperativa o un condominio, primero deberás informar los problemas de mantenimiento al propietario, la compañía de administración o la junta antes de presentar una queja ante HPD.
Aprende cómo presentar una queja con el propietario / administrador del edificio / administrador de viviendas públicas y qué hacer a continuación si no responden
Informar problemas de apartamentos en español. (Hoja con pasos incluye un molde de carta)
Si tu arrendador no responde y planeas presentar la queja a través del 311, esto es lo que sucede a continuación
► Después de llamar al 311, un número de solicitud de servicio (SRN) será entregado (pregunta por este número). Usa tu SRN para rastrear el estado de tu queja visitando 311ONLINE, 311MOBILE (si presentaste la queja a través de 311MOBILE) o mediante HPDONLINE.
► HPD intentará comunicarse con el agente administrativo de tu edificio para informarle que se ha presentado una queja y que se puede emitir una infracción si la condición no se corrige de inmediato. HPD también intentará llamarte de vuelta para ver si la condición ha sido corregida. Si indicas que la condición se corrigió, HPD cerrará la queja.
► Envia una carta formal de queja a tu arrendatario con la pagina website.
Estas son las quejas más comunes de mantenimiento de apartamentos según NYC 311
► Condiciones insalubres, como moho, aguas residuales o plagas, incluidos ratones, chinches o cucarachas
► Fugas de agua, agujeros, grietas o pintura descascarada en paredes o techos
► Puertas y cerraduras rotas o faltantes
► Ventanas rotas/dañadas o que están atascadas abriendo hacia fuera o cerrando permanentemente
► No hay calefacción o agua caliente
► Problemas eléctricos, como falta de iluminación, enchufes o interruptores defectuosos, expuestos o cableado ilegal, o artefactos de iluminación húmedas
► Gas de la estufa que se ha suspendido (si está incluido en su renta mensual)
► Timbres, zumbadores, o intercomunicadores que se han roto o faltan
► Pisos dañados
► Pintura en base a plomo que se ha descascarado o que está por descascararse
► Daños o defectos en fregaderos, bañeras, duchas, inodoros u otros accesorios de plomería
► Problemas de seguridad, como escapes de incendios rotos o bloqueados, o alarmas de humo dañadas o faltantes, detectores de monóxido de carbono o protectores de ventanas
Más información
– Para obtener más información sobre el proceso de informar un problema de calidad o seguridad, visita NYC Reporting a Quality of Safety Issue.
– Obtén más información sobre los derechos y responsabilidades de los inquilinos con las “Reglas de Vivienda para Propietarios e Inquilinos”.
– Para obtener más información sobre otros tipos de quejas de vivienda, visita “Quejas de vivienda”.

Updated on December 13, 2020

Homeowner Repair Loans

homerepairHome Repair and Preservation Financing
Lead Hazard Reduction and Healthy Homes Program

If you are a homeowner in one of the five boroughs and need heating upgrades, plumbing or electrical repairs, lead paint removal, roof and window repairs, or other repairs you could receive a homeowner repair loan through the Department of Housing Preservation and Development. The program provides access to affordable low- or no-interest and potentially forgivable loans for home repairs to eligible owners of one- to four-family homes in New York City
For more information about this program by clicking on HomeFix. To find out if you qualify please visit Determine Eligibility.

Si es dueño de una casa en uno de los 5 condados de Nueva York y necesita modernizar su sistema de calefacción, hacer reparaciones eléctricas o de plomería, remover pintura a base de plomo, reparar techos y/o ventanas, o necesita hacer otro tipos de reparaciones, usted puede recibir un préstamo para propietarios a través del departamento de salud. Para más información siga el enlace HomeFix. Para conocer si califica para otros programa visite esta página.

Updated on December 6, 2020

Print This Page