New York City
Print This Page


Students in Temporary Housing

Public school students affected by homelessness (living in a shelter, or doubled up or in some other temporary housing situation due to economic hardship), can receive support and resources with the DOE.
— Homelessness
— Enrollment in a public school
Every school district has a dedicated Students in Temporary Housing (STH) Regional Manager who can respond to questions and concerns, and connect you to DOE and other city agency resources designed to provide no-cost benefits (including transportation to and from school, help with enrollment and school moves, even access to programs and special opportunities)
How to Apply
To get help at school, please reach out to your school’s guidance counselor, social worker, or principal for assistance.
Updated on September 23, 2021

Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP)
1-844-691-7368 (Monday-Sunday 8:00 am-7:00 pm)
TTY 1-833-843-8829
The Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) can assist those unable to pay rent due to COVID-19. Eligible low and moderate-income households can get up to 12 months of their back rent paid, three months of future rent, and other assistance. All payments will be made directly to the landlord/property owner on behalf of the tenant.

*You are protected from eviction while you have a Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) application pending*
**There are no immigration status requirements to qualify for the program**
***You do not have to pay back the money paid to your landlord on behalf of you***

Eligibility criteria
— NYS residents that owe rent since the COVID-19 pandemic began in March 2020 AND
— Qualified for unemployment benefits or have lost income and/or have an increase in expenses due to the COVID-19 pandemic; AND
— Have a monthly gross (before tax) household income at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI).
How to Apply
Visit a community-based organization near your home that can help you apply for ERAP. Locate one here OR
Apply online on the following link:
ERAP is not guaranteed and will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you have not heard about the status of your application, please call (844) 691-7368 or chat with a representative visiting
To learn more, visit the New York State Emergency Rental Assistance Program Page:
1-844-691-7368 (lunes a domingo de 8:00 a.m. a 7:00 p.m.)
Teléfono de texto 1-833-843-8829

El Programa de asistencia de emergencia para el alquiler (ERAP) puede ayudar a quienes no pueden pagar el alquiler adeudado debido a COVID-19. Los hogares elegibles con ingresos bajos y moderados pueden recibir hasta 12 meses de la renta adeudada, tres meses de alquiler futuro y otra asistencia. Todos los pagos se harán directamente al propietario a nombre del inquilino.

*Usted será protegido contra mociones de desalojo mientras tenga una solicitud del Programa de Asistencia de Alquiler de Emergencia (ERAP) pendiente*
**No hay requisitos de estatus migratorio para calificar para el programa**

***El beneficio no es un prestamo y no debera pagar de vuelta el monto que fue pagado por el programa al arrendador

Criterios de Elegibilidad
— Residentes del estado de Nueva York que deban alquiler desde el inicio de la pandemia por COVID-19 en marzo de 2020 — Han calificado para beneficios de desempleo o han perdido ingresos y/o tienen un aumento en los gastos debido a la pandemia de COVID-19; Y
— Tienen un ingreso familiar bruto mensual (antes de impuestos) igual o inferior al 80% del Ingreso Medio del Area (AMI).
Cómo Aplicar
— Visite una organización comunitaria cercana que pueda ayudarlo a aplicar a ERAP. Encuentra una organizacion aquí O
— Realiza una aplicacion en línea en el siguiente enlace:
ERAP no está garantizado y se determinará caso por caso. Si no ha escuchado acerca del estado de su aplicacion llame al (844) 691-7368 o hable con un representante por chat visitando
Para obtener más información, visite la página del programa de asistencia de alquiler de emergencia del estado de Nueva York: Encuentra instrucciones acerca de como traducir contenido al espanol en:
Updated on September 1, 2021

Emergency Rental Assistance
844-NY-RENT (1-844-691-7368) 8 am- 7 pm
Chat with an agent
The program launched on June 1st, 2021. It helps eligible New Yorkers pay for late rent or utility bills who have suffered financial hardship due to COVID-19.  Assistance may cover up to 12 months of late rent. Funds are limited; consider applying as soon as possible.

  • Household gross income is at or below 80 percent of the Area Median Income (AMI)
  • On or after March 13, 2020, a member of the household received unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in income, incurred significant costs or experienced financial hardship, directly or indirectly, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • There are no immigration status requirements to qualify for the program.
    Registration & Application
    Visit For more information about prioritized households, documentation to provide, and enrolling organizations in your borough  visit or call 1-844-691-7368.
    Updated on June 2, 2021


    The Ali Forney Center

    Harlem Drop-In Center: 321 West 125th Street, New York, NY 10027
    (212) 206-0574
    The Ali Forney Center’s mission is to protect LGBTQ youth from the harms of homelessness and empower them with the tools needed to live independently. To learn more, visit:
    Housing and Job Readiness
    Drop-In Center: any LGBTQ youth can access food, medical care, mental health services, and more.
    Outreach Program: supportive services and education to homeless, runaway, street-based, and at-risk LGBTQ youth ages 16-24.
    Transitional living.
    Job and readiness education.
    — On-site primary care and psychiatric services through a contract with The Institute for Family Health.
    — Insurance enrollment.
    — HIV/AIDS prevention, outreach, and treatment.
    — STI testing and treatment.
    — PEP and PrEP resources.
    — Hormone replacement therapy.
    — Birth control and contraception.
    — Medical specialty referrals.
    Learn more visiting
    Updated on March 5, 2021

    Runaway & Homeless Youth

    Borough Drop-In Locations
    For program area-specific questions, please contact Randy Scott,

    The New York City Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) funds services for Runaway & Homeless Youth that include Drop-in Centers, Crisis Services Programs, and Transitional Independent Living programs.
    Young people between the ages of 14 to 24.
    Drop-in Centers and Crisis Service Programs
    Food, clothing, showers, laundry, and case management services are available.

    The Door Manhattan 555 Broome Street, New York NY 10013
    (212) 941-9090. Mon-Thurs: 11am-6pm.
    In person services:
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 11 am to 6 pm for services at the entrance. Effective November 5, 2020. In person services include includes access to food, clothing and health center needs. Access to computers is available. Remote services continue to be available for housing and health care referrals, legal services, recreation, and counseling and mental health support.
    Ali Forney Center Manhattan 321W 125th Street, New York NY 10027
    (212) 206–0574. Mon to Friday, 10am to 6pm.
    In person services:
    Mon to Friday, 10am to 6pm including bagged meals, PPE, hygiene kits, mail
    distribution, housing referrals. New intakes available, 2 per day. Medical/psychiatric services available onsite. Overnight services available from 8pm-8am, MondayFriday. Sign up with your case manager on Mondays by 2pm for a 1 week reservation. Can accommodate 8-10 youth. Hot supper served at 8:30 pm for clients staying overnight.
    Safe Horizon Streetwork Project Manhattan 209 West 125th Street, New York NY 10027
    (212) 695–2220. Mon, Tues, Thurs–Sun: 12pm–6pm

    In person services: Every day but Wednesday from 12pm to 5pm.
    Access to inside is limited to current Streetwork shelter residents and/or services, such as showers, that are not accessible at the entrance. Staff assess and determine who is able to enter the program. All other services (including to-go meals, needle exchange, hygiene products, shelter referrals, baby supplies, PPE, food pantry, etc.) available at the door. Remote services also available. Showers are not available on Saturday or Sunday. Up to four intakes per day on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri. Weekend intakes for minors only
    Cardinal McCloskey 333 East 149th Street, Bronx NY 10451
    (718) 993-5495 | (917) 304-5118. 24/7
    In person services:
    24H a day Monday – Friday. Overnight services on Saturday and Sunday. Referrals and case management also available by phone.
    Services Brooklyn 774 Rockaway Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11211
    (718) 685–3850. 24/7
    In person services:
    7am to 11pm. Food, shower, case management
    Sheltering Arms 89-74 162nd Street, 3rd Floor, Jamaica NY 11432
    (718) 526–2400 ext. 2077. 24/7
    In-person services:
    Open 24/7
    Sheltering Arms 1600 Central Avenue, Far Rockaway NY 11691. Tuesday through Saturday 11am – 7pm
    In person services:
    Social distancing and other DOH health guidelines will be followed.
    Project Hospitality 27 Port Richmond Avenue, Staten Island NY 10302
    (718) 876–4752. 10am – 7am (21 hours)
    In person services:
    new intakes are available for those with immediate housing needs. COVID 19 testing for youth accessing the site is recommended. Call for more information: (718) 876-4752 or email



    El Departamento de Juventud de la Ciudad de Nueva York y Servicios de fondos de Desarrollo Comunitario (DYCD) para jóvenes que han escapado de su hogar ofrecen lugares de refugio y servicios que incluyen centros de acogida, programas de servicios de crisis, y programas de transición y vida independiente.
    Jóvenes entre las edades de 14 a 24.
    Atención sin cita previa y programas de servicios de crisis. Los centros de acogidas pueden ofrecer servicios de comida, ropa, duchas, lavandería y soporte con manejo de de casos.

    The Door Manhattan 555 Broome Street, New York NY 10013
    (212) 941-9090. Lunes a jueves: 11am-6pm.
    Servicios presenciales:
    Lunes a jueves de 11 am a 6 pm para servicios. Servicios en el centro incluyen comida, ropa y salud. Acceso a computadoras está disponible. Servicios remotos continúan estando disponibles para remisiones de salud, vivienda, servicios legales, recreación y apoyo con consejería en salud mental
    Ali Forney Center Manhattan 321W 125th Street, New York NY 10027
    (212) 206–0574. Mon to Friday, 10am to 6pm.
    Servicios presenciales:
    Lunes a viernes, 10am a 6pm. Servicios incluyen comidas empacadas, equipo de protección personal, kits de higiene, distribución de correo y remisiones para vivienda. Nuevas admisiones están disponibles, 2 por día. Servicios médicos y psiquiatricos están disponibles en el centro. Servicios de la noche a la mañana están disponibles de 8pm a 8am, de luens a viernes. Regístrate con tu administrator de casos los lunes de 2pm para reservarlo por una semana. Puede acomodar 8-10 jóvenes. Cena caliente a las 8:30 pm para clients que se quedan en la noche.
    Safe Horizon Streetwork Project Manhattan 209 West 125th Street, New York NY 10027
    (212) 695–2220. Mon, Tues, Thurs–Sun: 12pm–6pm

    Servicios presenciales: Todos los días de 12pm a 5pm excepto los miércoles .
    Los miembros del equipo evaluan y determinan quien podrá ingresar al programa. Servicios incluyen comida para llevar, intercamvio de agujas, productos de higiene, remisiones para vivienda, artículos para bebés, equipo de protección personal, servicios de comidas, etc. que están disponibles a la entrada. Servicios remotos también están disponibles. Duchas no están disponisbles los sábados y domingos. El centro acepta hasta 4 jóvenes por día los lunes, martes, jueves y viernes. Admisiones los fines de semana solo para menores de edad.
    Cardinal McCloskey 333 East 149th Street, Bronx NY 10451
    (718) 993-5495 | (917) 304-5118. 24 horas/7 días a la semana
    Servicios presenciales:
    24H Lunes a Viernes. Servicios de noche a la mañana los sábados y domingos. Servicios de remisión y manejo de casos están disponibles por teléfono.
    SCO Family of Services Brooklyn 774 Rockaway Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11211
    (718) 685–3850. 24/7
    Servicios presenciales:
    7am a 11pm. Comidas, duchas y manejo de casos
    Sheltering Arms Queens 89-74 162nd Street, 3rd Floor, Jamaica NY 11432
    (718) 526–2400 ext. 2077.
    Servicios presenciales:
    Abierto 24 horas/7 días a la semana
    Sheltering Arms 1600 Central Avenue, Far Rockaway NY 11691. Martes a sábado de 11am a 7pm.
    Servicios presenciales:
    Se seguirán la guías de distanciamiento social y otras guías del departamento de salud.
    Project Hospitality 27 Port Richmond Avenue, Staten Island NY 10302
    (718) 876–4752. 10am – 7am (21 hours)
    Servicios presenciales:
    Nuevas admisiones están disponibles para las personas con necesidad inmediata de vivienda. Se recomienda que los jóvenes tengan una prueba COVID 19 en el centro de acogida. Contáctate para más información: (718) 876-4752 o email

    Updated on February 13th, 2021

    COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Act

    nyscourts-logoEviction Moratoria and Courthouse Operations
    NYC Housing Courts |
    Contact the City’s Tenant Helpline by calling 311 and say “Tenant Helpline”
    Under a State law called the COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Act you can prevent yourself from eviction in New York City.
    If you have experienced financial hardship or face significant health risk because of COVID-19, you cannot be evicted until at least August 31, 2021.
    You must deliver your landlord, the local eviction court, or both a “Tenant’s Declaration of Hardship During the COVID-19 Pandemic” to protect yourself from eviction. To deliver this declaration online to the interested parties fill out this form by Housing Justice for All. A copy of the form will be sent to you as well.
    For emergency cash assistance or to apply to the COVID-19 relief program, call 311 to get more information or visit the Major’s Office to Protect Tenants website.
    Updated on May 6, 2021.


    Emergency Rental Assistance Grants (One-Shot Deals)

    HRA Infoline (718) 557-1399
    Housing Court Answers Link
    The One-Shot Deal is an emergency assistance program designed to meet the urgent needs of low-income New Yorkers. This assistance can be used to cover a number of situations like rental assistance to prevent or forestall an eviction.
    All New Yorkers in need are eligible and the approval for your request is done in a case-by-case approach. You do not have to be a Public Assistance recipient to receive a one-shot deal. You may apply for a one-shot deal even if you have had one in the past.
    It is important that you provide documentation supporting your urgent need for assistance (like losing your job due to COVID impacts). In addition if applicable evidence of:
    • Utilization of available resources to avoid arrears
    • Affordability of housing (you must be earning more than your monthly payment rent)
    • Consideration of any special at-risk factors such as disability
    • A viable future plan to pay the rent going forward
    For documents examples, check out the One-Shot Deal guide by the Coalition for the Homeless.
    Most one-shot deals will have to be paid back gradually through regular monthly payments. This is generally not the case if you are receiving SSI disability benefits.
    You must submit an application on ACCESS HRA. Follow the application instructions of this handout on the second page.
    Supporting Documents
    Review the types of documents you will need to submit by checking the Emergency Rental Assistance Handout.
    Depending on the urgency of the case, it can take 30-45 days to receive a decision once all documents have been subsmitted. If you do not receive a decision after 30-45 days or before a pay date, you can check case status on ACCESS HRA or call HRA InfoLine for information at (718) 557-1399.
    Learn more in the Emergency Rental Assistance Grants Flyer.

    The One-Shot Deal es un programa de asistencia de emergencia diseñado para satisfacer las necesidades urgentes de los neoyorquinos de bajos ingresos. Esta asistencia se puede utilizar para cubrir una serie de situaciones como asistencia para el pago de alquiler para prevenir o parar un desalojo.
    Todos los neoyorquinos con necesidades financieras son elegibles y la aprobación de la solicitud se realiza en un enfoque de caso por caso. No es necesario que sea un beneficiario de Asistencia Pública para recibir un One-Shot Deal. Puedes solicitar el beneficio de incluso si has tenido uno en el pasado.
    Es importante que proporciones documentación que respalde la necesidad de obtener asistencia urgente (como perder su trabajo debido a los impactos de COVID). Además, si corresponde, evidencia de:
    • Utilización de los recursos disponibles para evitar atrasos
    • Asequibilidad de la vivienda (por ejemplo debe estar ganando más que su pago mensual de alquiler)
    • Consideración de cualquier factor especial de riesgo, como discapacidad
    • Un plan futuro viable para pagar el alquiler en el futuro
    La mayoría de los One-Shot Deals deberán reembolsarse gradualmente mediante pagos mensuales regulares. Por lo general, este no es el caso si recibe beneficios por discapacidad de SSI.
    Debe enviar una solicitud en ACCESS HRA. Sigue las instrucciones de aplicación en este este folleto.
    Documentos de respaldo
    Revise los tipos de documentos que deberás presentar consultando el Folleto de Asistencia de Emergencia Para Pagos de Alquiler.
    Dependiendo de la urgencia del caso, una decisión puede tomar de 30 a 45 días el recibir una vez que se hayan presentado todos los documentos. Si no recibes una decisión después de 30 a 45 días o antes de la fecha de vencimiento de pago, puedes verificar el estado del caso en ACCESS HRA o llama a la línea de información de HRA (718) 557-1399.
    Obtén más información en este folleto de subvenciones de asistencia de alquiler de emergencia.

    Updated on January 16, 2021

    Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)



    Energy Assistance by NYC the Human Resources Administration Office
    HEAP locations
    HEAP Infoline 800-692-0557
    Heat Line 212-331-3150
    The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) helps low-income people pay the cost of heating or cooling their homes. HEAP runs different benefit programs that will pay for: fuel, your utility source, equipment, and/or repairs depending on your needs. As a household, you could either apply for regular or emergency HEAP benefits. Remember, you may still be able to receive benefits even if your heat is included in your rent.
    Note: The HEAP benefit opens October 1, 2021. The deadline to submit applications is March 15, 2022.
    The eligibility criteria vary by program. Find about your eligibility in the Energy Assistance website.
    HEAP programs
    Regular HEAP benefit: a one-time supplement to your annual energy costs. The base amount of money given depends on your living situation. Find more information here.
    Emergency HEAP benefit: Emergency benefits are available if your heat has been turned off or is in danger of being turned off. The Emergency HEAP benefit opens January 3, 2022 and closes March 15, 2022 or until funds run out.
    Cooling assistance: The Cooling Assistance benefit helps eligible households buy and install an air conditioner or fan up to a cost of $800. The program operates from May to August. Applicants are only eligible for a Cooling Assistance benefit once every five years.
    Utility Assistance Program (UAP) (once the link opens scroll down): UAP assists families or individuals who are elderly, blind, disabled, mentally impaired or those residing in a neglected or hazardous environment who require financial assistance for their energy bills. Contact the Heat Line if you are having trouble paying your utilities bill calling to (212) 331-3150. Here are some other situations that may make you eligible for cash assistance.
    How to Apply
    By phone: (212) 331-3126
    In person: See offices at
    Mail: Applications should be mailed to New York City Home Energy Assistance Programm P.O. Box 1401, Church Street Station, New York, NY, 10008. Download application form at
    To find more information about your eligibility visit the Energy Assistance website and apply.

    El Programa de Asistencia para la Energía (HEAP por sus siglas en inglés) ayuda a personas con bajos ingresos a pagar el costo de la calefacción y/o refrescamiento de sus hogares. HEAP tiene diferentes programas de beneficios que pagarán por: combustible, fuente de electricidad, equipos y/o reparaciones dependiendo de su necesidad. Como familia, podrá aplicar para los beneficios regulares o de emergencia de HEAP.
    Nota: El período de aplicación para beneficios regulares o de emergencia HEAP esta activo desde el 1ro de Octubre de 2021 hasta el 15 de marzo de 2022.
    Los criterios de elegibilidad varían por programa. Conoce si calificas entrando a la página de Energy Assistance.
    Como Aplicar
    Por telefono: (212) 331-3126
    Personalmente: Ubica oficinas en el enlace
    Correo: Las aplicaciones deben ser enviadas a New York City Home Energy Assistance Programm P.O. Box 1401, Church Street Station, New York, NY, 10008. Download application form at

    Updated on October 13, 2021

    Home Water Assistance Program

    nyc311-logoHome Water Assistance Program Website
    Department of Environmental Protection
    If you’re an eligible low-income homeowner, you can get an annual, non-refundable credit of $115.89 through the Home Water Assistance Program (HWAP). You do not have to enroll in the Home Water Assistance Program.
    If you’re an eligible homeowner, you will automatically get a credit on your water and sewer account. A credit for $115.89 will appear on the first DEP bill received after the credit is applied. The transaction will be labeled “NYC Home Water Assistance Credit.”
    Call 311 for assistance.
    Learn if you qualify here.
    Updated on September 2, 2020

    Get Cool NYC Air Conditioner Program (60+)

    nyc311-logo Get Cool Air Conditioner Program Website
    Enrollment form
    This program is available to income-qualified adults aged 60 and older who receive certain benefits including but not limited to Medicaid and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), or live in subsidized housing.
    See if you are eligible by completing an online eligibility form or by calling 3-1-1.
    If you cannot access the form or have any trouble with it, you can call 3-1-1 and select the prompt for Get Cool NYC Program. A live agent will conduct the eligibility form over the phone.
    After submitting the form, your information will be checked for eligibility. If you are eligible, you will get a follow-up call to enroll them in the program. Online forms that are left incomplete will not be considered. Ineligible New Yorkers will not be contacted.
    If you are under 60, see the Cooling Assistance Program by the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) or call 212-331-3126 and get connected with an operator.
    Updated on December 13,2020

    Discounted Telephone Service by Lifeline Assistance

    clipart4310830Lifeline Assistance
    Telephone Carrier Program
    New York State Lifeline Discounted Telephone Service is an assistance program offered by many telephone providers, including some wireless and cable companies, to help income-eligible consumers save money on their phone bills.
    Qualifying consumers can apply to “Lifeline” to receive a monthly discount on either their landline telephone service or their wireless service.
    In New York State, consumers can qualify for the “Lifeline Program” based on the following eligibility criteria:
    Income-Based: Your income is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
    Government Assistance Programs: You participate in one of the following programs.

    Federal Programs State Programs
    ► Medicaid ► Family Assistance/Safety Net Assistance
    ► Supplemental Security Income (SSI) ► Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
    ► Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) ► National School Lunch Program
    ► Federal Public Housing Assistance ——–
    ► Veteran’s Pension and Survivors Benefit ——–

    Federal program participation: Apply online.
    State program participation: Contact a telephone carrier and ask about their Lifeline Program.
    Updated on January 16, 2021

    Evictions Moratorium During the Pandemic


    UPDATE: The NYS legislation placed a moratorium on residential evictions until August 31, 2021 for tenants who have endured COVID-related hardship. Tenants must submit a hardship declaration, or a document explaining the source of the hardship, to prevent evictions. Landlords can evict tenants that are creating safety or health hazards for other tenants, and those tenants who do not submit hardship declarations

    The aforementioned means that you can prevent your landlord from evicting you if you have lost income or increased expenses during the COVID-19 pandemic or if moving from your home would pose a hardship during the pandemic.
    ► To be protected under this law, you must sign a “Hardship Declaration” and deliver it to your landlord. Find a Hardship Declaration form available in English and Spanish at or fill it out at
    ► If you sign and deliver the Hardship Declaration, you cannot be evicted from your primary residence pursuant to a pending case, and your landlord may not file a new case to evict you from your primary residence, until at least May 1, 2021. Find more information about the COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2020 at
    The Tenant Safe Harbor Act prevents landlords from evicting tenants in nonpayment cases for money owed between March 7, 2020 and the beginning of Stage 4. Landlords can only get money judgments in court. Tenants have to show in court that they were hurt financially by COVID-19. Learn more visiting
    Deliver the Hardship Declaration Form to your landlord. Fill out the form at and a copy of the declaration will be delivered to your landlord’s inbox.
    For more information about eviction prevention visit the Mayor’s Office to Protect Tenants. If you are struggling to pay rent, contact call 311 in NYC and ask for the “Tenant Helpline”, or fill out the Mayor’s Office to Protect Tenants’ Contact Us form.
    For more resources and updates, visit the Information and Resources for NYC Tenants Impacted by COVID-19 Website.



    ACTUALIZACION: La legislación del Estado de Nueva York estableció una moratoria sobre los desalojos residenciales hasta el 31 de agosto de 2021 para los inquilinos que han sufrido dificultades relacionadas con COVID. Los inquilinos deben presentar una declaración de dificultades o un documento que explique la fuente de las dificultades para evitar los desalojos. Los propietarios pueden desalojar a los inquilinos que están creando peligros para la seguridad o la salud de otros inquilinos, y a los inquilinos que no presenten declaraciones de dificultades económicas. ley-de-prevención-de-ejecución-hipotecaria-2020
    Bajo esta moratoria, usted puede evitar que su arrendador lo desaloje si ha perdido ingresos o ha aumentado los gastos durante la pandemia de COVID-19 o si mudarse de su hogar representaría una dificultad.
    ► Para estar protegido por esta ley, debe firmar una “Declaración de Dificultad” y entregársela a su arrendador. Encuentre un formulario de Declaración de Dificultades disponible en español en o en (haga clic en “Language” y elija “Español”)
    ► Si firma y entrega la Declaración de Dificultades Económicas, no puede ser desalojado de su residencia principal de conformidad con un caso pendiente, y su arrendador no puede presentar un nuevo caso para desalojarlo de su residencia principal, hasta al menos el 1 de mayo de 2021. Encuentre más información sobre la Ley de Prevención de Ejecuciones Hipotecarias y Desalojos de Emergencia COVID-19 de 2020 en
    La Ley de Puerto Seguro Para Inquilinos evita que los propietarios desalojen a los inquilinos en casos de falta de pago por el dinero adeudado entre el 7 de marzo de 2020 y el comienzo de la Etapa 4 de la pandemia. Los propietarios solo pueden obtener fallos monetarios en los tribunales. Los inquilinos deben demostrar ante el tribunal que se vieron perjudicados financieramente por COVID-19. Obtenga más información visitando
    Entregue el formulario de declaración de dificultades económicas al propietario. Complete el formulario en y una copia de la declaración será enviada al correo electrónico del propietario.
    Para obtener más información sobre la prevención de desalojos, visite la Oficina del Alcalde para Proteger a los Inquilinos. Si tiene dificultades para pagar el alquiler, llame al 311 en NYC y solicite la “Línea de ayuda para inquilinos” , o complete el formulario de Contacto de la Oficina del Alcalde para Proteger a los Inquilinos.

    Updated on May 6, 2021


    HomeBase Organization and NYC Connect

    Barn Vector Icon Sign Icon Vector Illustration For Personal And Commercial Use... Clean Look Trendy Icon...

    HomeBase NYC Website
    HomeBase Locations Link
    NYC Connect Website (Affordable Housing Lottery)

    To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, all Homebase locations are closed. Homebase services are still available by phone.


    Para prevenir posibles contagios con COVID-19, todas las oficinas de Homebase están cerradas. Los servicios de Homebase están aún disponibles por teléfono.

    Homebase will help you develop a personalized plan to overcome an immediate housing crisis and achieve housing stability. You may be eligible for Homebase services if you:
    1) Are at imminent risk of entering the New York City shelter system
    2) Are low-income
    3) Want to remain stably housed in your community
    Find your nearest Homebase office via this map. Call the office before visiting to schedule a set time that is convenient for you. Learn more with these FAQs.
    More information on this Housing resources handout.
    Information in Spanish in this Spanish Housing resources handout.
    NYC Connect offers a list of affordable housing opportunities to the public. Create an account and apply to the listed developments. Remember to keep applying when new developments get posted to increase your chances to be favored in the NYC Connect Housing lottery.

    Encuentra recursos e información en esta hoja informacional para superar una crisis de vivienda. HomeBase es una organización que te ayudará con un plan personalizado para que puedas residir en una vivienda de manera estable. Podrás ser elegible para los servicios de HomeBase si:
    1) Estás en riesgo inminente de entrar al sistema de albergues
    2) Cuentas con bajos ingresos económicos, y
    3) Quieres residir de manera estable en su comunidad
    NYC Connect es un listado de rentas a bajo costo en toda la ciudad disponibles para familias con bajos ingresos. Crea una cuenta en la página NYC Connect y aplica a los apartamentos publicados. Recuerda aplicar a todos los apartamentos nuevos para aumentar las oportunidades de ganar la loteria de vivienda.

    Updated on December 24, 2020

    Disability Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE) Rent Freeze Program

    Department of Finance
    Dial 311
    Tenants that qualify for the NYC Rent Freeze Program for Tenants with Disabilities (DRIE) can have their rent frozen and be exempt from future rent increases. This does not lower your rent but only keeps it from increasing.
    To be eligible for DRIE, you must meet the following requirements
    ► You must be at least 18 years old.
    You must receive one of the following:
    ► Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    ► Social Security Disability Income (SSDI)
    ► Disability-related Medicaid (if you have received either SSI or SSDI in the past)
    ► Veterans Affairs Disability Pension
    ► Veterans Affairs Compensation
    ► United States Postal Service (USPS) Disability Pension
    ► United States Postal Service (USPS) Disability Compensation
    ► You must live in an eligible apartment type.
    ► You must be named on the lease or the rent order or have been granted succession rights to the apartment.
    ► The apartment must be your primary residence, meaning you live there for most of the year.
    ► You must spend more than one-third of your monthly household income on rent.
    ► The total combined income for all members of your household must be $50,000 or less in the prior calendar year (DRIE records all income sources, taxable, and non-taxable. You can’t deduct your medical expenses and Medicare premium).
    More information on eligibility at Disability Rent Increase Exemption.
    Complete the DRIE Initial Application. You can submit your application online by signing up with the Department of Finance or by sending it to New York City Department of Finance Rent Freeze Program – DRIE P.O. Box 3179 Union, NJ 07083
    More information about the application at Disability Rent Increase Exemption.
    Updated on December 13, 2020

    Reporting Apartment Issues

    house-damageApartment Maintainance Complaint by 311
    311 or (212) 639-9675
    311 Online Sign Up
    If you report an apartment building problem and it is not fixed in a timely manner, call 3-1-1 or make a complaint online at 311 Maintenance Complaint in Apartment / 311MOBILE. To report a problem in an apartment, you must provide your contact information. If you wish to report an issue anonymously you can do so if the issue is affecting the entirety of a building.
    Before filing a complaint with the Housing Preservation and Development Department (HPD), you should try first to resolve the issue with your landlord, managing agent, or superintendent. If you live in a co-op or condo, you should first report apartment maintenance issues to the owner, management company, or board before filing a complaint with HPD.
    Learn how to make a complaint and what to do next if responsible parties are not responsive
    Reporting Apartment Issues. (Handout includes a template letter)
    Reporting Apartment Issues in Spanish. (Handout includes a template letter with instruction in Spanish)
    If your landlord is not responsive and you plan to file a complaint through 311, this is what happens next
    ► 311 will give you a Service Request number (SRN). You can use this SRN to track the status of your complain by visiting 311ONLINE, 311MOBILE (if you filed it through 311MOBILE) or through HPDONLINE.
    ► HPD will attempt to contact your building’s managing agent to advise them that a complaint has been filed and that a violation may be issued if the condition is not corrected immediately. HPD will also attempt to call you back to see if the condition was corrected. If you indicate that the condition was corrected, HPD will close the complaint.
    These are the most common apartment maintenance complaints according to NYC 311
    ► Unsanitary conditions, such as mold, sewage, or pests, including mice, bed bugs, or roaches
    ► Water leaks, holes, cracks, or peeling paint on walls or ceilings
    ► Doors and locks that are broken or missing
    ► Windows that are broken or stuck open or closed
    ► No heat or hot water
    ► Electrical problems, such as no lighting, defective outlets or switches, exposed or illegal wiring, or wet light fixtures
    ► Cooking gas that has been shut off
    ► Doorbells, buzzers, or intercoms that are broken or missing
    ► Floors that are damaged
    ► Chipped, peeling, flaking potential lead paint
    ► Sinks, bathtubs, showers, toilets, or other plumbing fixtures that are broken or defective
    ► Safety issues, such as broken or blocked fire escapes, or broken or missing smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, or window guards
    More information
    — To learn more about the process of reporting a quality or safety issue visit NYC Reporting a Quality of Safety Issue.
    — Learn more about tenant rights and responsibilities with Housing Rules for Owners and Tenants.
    — For more information about complaints for other types of housing visit Housing Complaints.

    Si has presentado una queja de mantenimiento en tu edificio de residencia y el problema no se ha solucionado oportunamente, llama al 3-1-1 para diligenciar la queja o presenta tu queja electrónicamente en la página 311 Maintenance Complaint in Apartment o con la app 311MOBILE. Recuerda que deberás proporcionar tu información de contacto al presentar la queja. Si deseas presentar una queja que afecta todo un edificio, tu queja puede ser anónima.
    Ten en cuenta que antes de presentar una queja ante el departamento de vivienda de la ciudad (HPD), es preciso intentar resolver el problema primero con tu arrendador, agente administrativo o superintendente. Si vives en una cooperativa o un condominio, primero deberás informar los problemas de mantenimiento al propietario, la compañía de administración o la junta antes de presentar una queja ante HPD.
    Aprende cómo presentar una queja con el propietario / administrador del edificio / administrador de viviendas públicas y qué hacer a continuación si no responden
    Informar problemas de apartamentos en español. (Hoja con pasos incluye un molde de carta)
    Si tu arrendador no responde y planeas presentar la queja a través del 311, esto es lo que sucede a continuación
    ► Después de llamar al 311, un número de solicitud de servicio (SRN) será entregado (pregunta por este número). Usa tu SRN para rastrear el estado de tu queja visitando 311ONLINE, 311MOBILE (si presentaste la queja a través de 311MOBILE) o mediante HPDONLINE.
    ► HPD intentará comunicarse con el agente administrativo de tu edificio para informarle que se ha presentado una queja y que se puede emitir una infracción si la condición no se corrige de inmediato. HPD también intentará llamarte de vuelta para ver si la condición ha sido corregida. Si indicas que la condición se corrigió, HPD cerrará la queja.
    Estas son las quejas más comunes de mantenimiento de apartamentos según NYC 311
    ► Condiciones insalubres, como moho, aguas residuales o plagas, incluidos ratones, chinches o cucarachas
    ► Fugas de agua, agujeros, grietas o pintura descascarada en paredes o techos
    ► Puertas y cerraduras rotas o faltantes
    ► Ventanas rotas/dañadas o que están atascadas abriendo hacia fuera o cerrando permanentemente
    ► No hay calefacción o agua caliente
    ► Problemas eléctricos, como falta de iluminación, enchufes o interruptores defectuosos, expuestos o cableado ilegal, o artefactos de iluminación húmedas
    ► Gas de la estufa que se ha suspendido (si está incluido en su renta mensual)
    ► Timbres, zumbadores, o intercomunicadores que se han roto o faltan
    ► Pisos dañados
    ► Pintura en base a plomo que se ha descascarado o que está por descascararse
    ► Daños o defectos en fregaderos, bañeras, duchas, inodoros u otros accesorios de plomería
    ► Problemas de seguridad, como escapes de incendios rotos o bloqueados, o alarmas de humo dañadas o faltantes, detectores de monóxido de carbono o protectores de ventanas
    Más información
    – Para obtener más información sobre el proceso de informar un problema de calidad o seguridad, visita NYC Reporting a Quality of Safety Issue.
    – Obtén más información sobre los derechos y responsabilidades de los inquilinos con las “Reglas de Vivienda para Propietarios e Inquilinos”.
    – Para obtener más información sobre otros tipos de quejas de vivienda, visita “Quejas de vivienda”.

    Updated on December 13, 2020

    NYCHA/Section 8 Customer Care Centers

    nycha-logoCustomer Contact Center
    (718) 707-777 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to handle emergencies
    (718) 707-777 Monday through Friday, 6am to midnight to schedule routine maintenance repairs
    Public housing residents can call the Customer Contact Center at 718-707-7771 to report emergencies and schedule routine maintenance repairs in their apartments and developments.
    They can assist you specifically
    ► Regarding emergency repairs in your apartment or in a public space
    ► Concerning heat and hot water issues
    ► To schedule general apartment repair appointments
    ► For information about housing applications offices
    The customer service representatives can assist you better when you provide the following information
    ► Your name, address, telephone number, and the name of your development
    ► The location of the emergency (if it applies): apartment, lobby, hallway, stairwell, etc.
    ► The floors affected
    ► When and how the problem began
    ► Previous work ticket number (if applicable)
    Find more information at the NYCHA CCC website.
    Updated on December 5, 2020

    Homeowner Repair Loans

    homerepairHome Repair and Preservation Financing
    Lead Hazard Reduction and Healthy Homes Program

    If you are a homeowner in one of the five boroughs and need heating upgrades, plumbing or electrical repairs, lead paint removal, roof and window repairs, or other repairs you could receive a homeowner repair loan through the Department of Housing Preservation and Development. The program provides access to affordable low- or no-interest and potentially forgivable loans for home repairs to eligible owners of one- to four-family homes in New York City
    For more information about this program by clicking on HomeFix. To find out if you qualify please visit Determine Eligibility.

    Si es dueño de una casa en uno de los 5 condados de Nueva York y necesita modernizar su sistema de calefacción, hacer reparaciones eléctricas o de plomería, remover pintura a base de plomo, reparar techos y/o ventanas, o necesita hacer otro tipos de reparaciones, usted puede recibir un préstamo para propietarios a través del departamento de salud. Para más información siga el enlace HomeFix. Para conocer si califica para otros programa visite esta página.

    Updated on December 6, 2020

    For Children and Families: Prevention Assistance and Temporary Housing (PATH)

    dhs_logo_2-removebg-previewPrevention Assistance and Temporary Housing (PATH)
    151 East 151st Street, Bronx, NY 10451
    Families with children experiencing homelessness can apply for shelter at the Department of Homeless Services’ Prevention Assistance and Temporary Housing (PATH) center.
    PATH will identify housing needs, provide resources to help prevent homelessness, and place families experiencing homelessness into a shelter. During the application process, all families will be offered a temporary shelter placement. PATH is open for 24 hours daily (including holidays and weekends), and applications are processed from 9am-5pm. Interpreter assistance is available.
    Families who do not have alternative housing options will be offered a permanent shelter placement. Families with children younger than 21, families with a pregnant woman, and pregnant women are eligible.
    All family members seeking shelter must be present and provide identification in the form of one of the following*:
    –Form of ID with a picture and proof of age (ex: welfare ID, green card, driver’s license, passport, visa, picture employment card)
    –Birth certificate
    –Social Security card
    –Medicaid card
    –Identity card in the Public Assistance System
    *If you are unable to locate one of the items listed, the Department of Homeless Services will try to help you find a form of identification.
    If you are working you must provide your most recent pay stub.
    How It Works
    Once you arrive at PATH, you will first be interviewed by a Human Resources Administration (HRA) caseworker, who will inquire about your living situation and explain the services that may help you avoid entering shelter- including family mediation, anti-eviction legal services, out-of-city relocation assistance, Family Homelessness Eviction Prevention Supplement (FHEPS), or a One-Shot Deal through HRA.
    You may be assigned a temporary shelter placement for up to 10 days while DHS investigates the information provided during the interview. Based on the investigation, DHS determines whether you are eligible for shelter, based on whether you have fully cooperated with the application and eligibility process and/or have other housing options available to you.
    To learn more about how to apply, visit the PATH website or download this brochure.

    PATH es un programa de albergue temporal para las familias que no tienen opciones alternas para vivir en una casa. Si este es su caso, considera aplicar al programa PATH.  Sin embargo, recomendamos que primero explores los servicios que ofrece HomeBase.
    Cómo functiona PATH: Una vez llegues a las oficinas de PATH, serás entrevistado por un administrador de casos quien preguntará por tu situación de vivienda. Este también explicará los servicios que ayudarán a evitar entrar al sistema de albergue (mediación familiar, servicios anti-evicción, asistencia con reubicación fuera de la ciudad, o el Programa Suplementario para Evitar Evicciones de Familias sin Hogar, y un Trato Directo con el HRA. 
    Todos los miembros de la familia que buscan refugio deben estar presentes y proporcionar una identificación en la forma de uno de los siguientes*:
    -Formulario de identificación con una foto y prueba de edad (por ejemplo: identificación de asistencia social, tarjeta de residencia americana, licencia de conducir, pasaporte, visa, tarjeta deempleo con foto)
    -Certificado de nacimiento
    -Tarjeta de seguridad social
    -Tarjeta de Medicaid
    -Identidad del Sistema de Asistencia Pública
    * Si no puedes ubicar uno de los elementos enumerados, el Departamento de Servicios para Personas Sin Hogar intentará ayudarte a encontrar una forma de identificación.
    Si estás trabajando, deberás proporcionar tu comprobante de pago más reciente.
    Es posible que se te asigne una ubicación en un refugio temporal por hasta 10 días mientras el DHS investiga la información proporcionada durante la entrevista. Con base en la investigación, el DHS determina si eres elegible para refugio, en función de si has cooperado plenamente con el proceso de solicitud y elegibilidad y/o si existen otras opciones de vivienda disponibles para tu familia.
    Para aprender más sobre el proceso, visita la página de PATH.

    Updated on December 19, 2020

    Temporary Housing for Families with Children 21 and over

    Adult Family Intake Center (AFIC)
    400-430 East 30th Street, New York, NY 10016
    AFIC is open 24 hours per day, including weekends and holidays.
    Adult families must apply for shelter in order to ensure that they do not have an alternative housing option available to them.
    How it works: Once an adult family arrives at AFIC, they will first be interviewed by a caseworker, who will inquire about their living situation and explain the services that may help them avoid shelter altogether.
    Families may be assigned a temporary shelter placement for up to 10 days while DHS investigates the information provided during the interview. Based on the investigation, DHS determines whether the family is eligible or ineligible for shelter, based on whether they have fully cooperated with the application and eligibility process and/or have other housing options available to them.
    Learn more about the intake and documentation process at Adult Families: Applying for Temporary Housing Assistance.

    El Centro de Admisión de Familias Adultas (AFIC) está abierto las 24 horas del día, incluidos los fines de semana y feriados.
    Cómo funciona AFIC: Las familias adultas deben solicitar refugio para conocer y asegurarse de que absolutamente no tienen una opción de vivienda alternativa disponible.
    Una vez que una familia adulta llega a AFIC, será entrevistada primero por un asistente social, quien preguntará sobre su situación de vida y explicará los servicios que pueden ayudarlos para evitar vivir en un albergue.
    Mientras el DHS investiga la información proporcionada durante la entrevista, a las familias se les puede asignar una ubicación de refugio temporal por hasta 10 días. Con base en la investigación, el DHS determina si la familia es elegible o no para refugio, en función de si han cooperado plenamente con el proceso de solicitud y elegibilidad y/o si tienen otras opciones de vivienda disponibles para ellos.
    Obtenga más información sobre el proceso de admisión y documentación en “solicitud de asistencia de vivienda temporal”.

    Fair Fares NYC

    fairfaresnyc_nobackgroundFairFares NYC gives a 50% discount on MetroCards to help low-income New York City residents. Residents have to meet the qualifications in order to apply. Find an informational handout here.
    Click on the link FairFares NYC to learn about your eligibility and how to apply.
    Click here for answers to questions you may have about the program.
    There are FairFares offices in every borough. Click here for the locations.

    FairFares NYC da la oportunidad a los residentes de la ciudad de Nueva York con bajos ingresos de tener un descuento de 50% para las tarjetas del metro. Aprenda más en esta hoja informacional. Para conocer las condiciones y requisitos visite la página oficial FairFares aquí.
    Haga clic aquí para preguntas frecuentes.
    Cada condado de la ciudad tiene oficinas de FairFares, oprima aquí para encontrar las ubicaciones.

    Updated on December 5, 2020

    Print This Page